Wednesday, February 17, 2010

When God doesn't answer our prayers for healing~

Today I found out that a dear friend, who has been battling cancer for several years, and always seeming to stay one step ahead, has now been sent home by her doctor and told to call Hospice. As a friend and I discussed how we should be dealing with this, and how we could help and support our friend who is in such deep need right now, I remembered this link that my daughter had sent me a couple of days ago. It is part of a series on healings that is being taught at the Cooper Road Vineyard in Westerville by Rich Nathan.

This particular teaching focused on what happens when God doesn't answer our prayers for healing as we hope He will. I am going to post the link in my links column. All of us will be dealing with serious illness at some point in our lives, and sometimes our loved ones (or ourselves) will be brought back to better health, and sometimes we will lose the battle altogether.

We have prayed for this friend for so long, and so fervently, and I am not willing to give up and discontinue praying for her healing. But, God is in charge, and He knows exactly what is going to happen in the long run, and He more than any of her loved ones has her very best interests in His heart. He is not surprised by this, and His plan for her life is still perfect. As it is for yours and mine.

As I have said to this dear friend, I could go out in my car today and be killed in an accident, so there's a possibility that I could reach Heaven before she does. And if I do, I will be waiting there for her with open arms, and I expect her to do the same for me if she gets there first.

My prayer always to the Lord is this one, which is the last line in a hymn that is one of my very favorites: "O Sacred Head now Wounded". The line reads~"Oh, may I never, ever, outlive my love for Thee." If there is a chance that I could grow cold in my love for the Lord if I live a long time, I would rather by far be taken home to Him today than let that happen. I know my friend feels the exact same way, and I am grateful that her love for Him continues to grow as she gets news that is so disheartening. And she is paving the way for the rest of us as she courageously lifts her head and trusts God no matter what the outcome. May that be said of us all when the time comes.

2 comments:

  1. I will be continuing to pray for her healing, but trusting the Lord that His plans are perfect and steadfast. Still, this situation breaks my heart, and I know it does yours, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mary...it's Amy Reeb Johnson. I wandered over here from Steph's blog...hope you don't mind. I love to have your wise words at my fingertips, this post and the one about your sparkly ring...Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete