Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Confined to a crate, and not liking it very much...

The other day, as I was getting something out of the refrigerator, much to my dismay my favorite iced tea pitcher crashed to the floor and sent shards of glass flying in every direction. Of course, my two very nosy pooches came running immediately to investigate, which caused me to run to head them off at the pass. Much to THEIR dismay, I hauled them off to their crate in the next room, which is used only for a place for them to escape being mauled by the grandkiddos, or simply to curl up and rest. Very rarely is it used for confinement, but due to the circumstances, in this case there was no choice.

The entire time that I spent cleaning up the glass, moans and groans and whines were emanating from the study. You would seriously think they were being tortured. And here I was just putting them there for their own wellbeing! Which got me to thinking...

How many times has God put me in a place of His choosing that feels on my end very confining, uncomfortable, maybe even downright cramped? For instance, when I have gotten sick when I'd rather have been out and about doing the things on my agenda, or my child got benched on their team for something that seemed very unfair, or a plan to travel was cancelled or postponed because of weather, a child's illness, or for any other of a million reasons...

That makes me then wonder how many of those times were meant to keep me safe, healthy, and out of harm's way, and I didn't even know it? Maybe that sickness kept me from going out and getting in an accident, or the benched kid resulted in an intact muscle or bone rather than the other way around. Or perhaps the cancelled travel made room for another event that was much more important on God's agenda than it was on mine.

I realize for sure that I will never know the answers to these questions this side of Heaven, but I do think that it makes me believe I should whine a lot less and ponder God's hand in my life a whole lot more the next time I am confined to my crate. :)

"For we know that all things work for good in the lives of those who love Him, and are called according to HIS purposes." ~Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment