Sunday, January 31, 2010

His eye is on the sparrow...


We just got home from a great trip over the weekend to the Inn at Honey Run, which is in Amish country. We went with a couple of very good friends, and loved having their companionship, and common interests. One of the things that my friend Corky and I share is a love of and fascination for birds. At the Inn, there are huge feeders outside of every window, so who needs any other form of entertainment? Their antics, along with one red squirrel the size of a domestic cat, were hilarious!

I began to think of the scripture that Jesus taught in the Sermon on the Mount. Remember that the context of this verse is in relation to being anxious: "Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?" -Matt. 6:26

Those birds I was watching had no concept of where their food in those feeders originated from...neither did they care. Their focus was on retrieiving the food and eating it, knowing that day after day it magically appears without effort on their part. So, no worries!

Take that idea a step further...you know where I'm headed with this. Why, oh why, do we worry about tomorrow and the provisions that we will need? If I care enough, and if God Himself cares enough to take care of these little ones, who have no anxiety about their source, why in the world would He drop the ball when it comes to me, who apparently is "worth much more than they are" in His eyes?

That is all the food for thought that I should need to keep my heart quiet and at rest.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Mary!
    It's funny...feels like that has been the theme of our lives here lately! I was just reading that scripture, then I pulled up your blog! what a blessing.

    ReplyDelete