Monday, January 25, 2010

Diamond in the rough...



I was sitting in church a couple of Sundays ago with my Bible open on my lap to the passage that was the sermon topic. I would glance down at the verse on the page, but my gaze kept wandering to my left ring finger, which was sparkling like the stars in a dark night sky.

A bit of history will help you picture this: When I got engaged, I was part of that hippie generation that looked down our noses at engagement rings, crystal, china, silver or anything that appeared traditional in any way. Gosh, I would have gotten married in my bare feet with even a tiny bit of encouragement, but settled instead for a cotton gown and daisies in my hair. My wedding band was plain white gold. Loved it, loved it, loved it! Then I lost it, lost it, lost it!!! I know exactly where it is on Granview Rd. in someone's back yard where it slipped off my finger in a game of softball shortly after we were married. But even with metal detectors we were never able to find it. So, my sweet husband decided he would make me a new ring, since we were a little short on funds with both of us in college/law school and working part-time jobs. You won't believe this (I still don't believe it), but he took a nickel out into the shed behind our little rented apartment, used an awl and a hammer and a hard surface, and created a ring that actually looked like my other one!

Well, I think that one lasted a few years until I gained a couple (or more) pounds after having had 2 babies. So, we bought another white gold band, since hubby now was gainfully employed. I still had no use whatsoever for jewels, even though diamonds were my birthstone. I thought Elizabeth Taylor was ridiculous, collecting all those diamonds, for Pete's sake. And even after seeing the Hope Diamond at the Smithsonian, I was a lot more interested in the Dinosaur bones.

Enter my late 30's, the death of my dearly beloved grandmother, and the bequeathing of her 3 diamond rings upon her grandkids. I got the 4-stone anniversary band, which I treasured immediately, mostly because it was hers. It didn't look all that great with the band that I was wearing at the time, but I really wasn't that concerned.

This past Christmas season, Bob and I were headed out to do some Christmas shopping one morning. Maybe it was the fact that my youngest daughter was newly engaged and had received a stunning vintage ring designed by her fiancee, or that my older daughter had a lovely solitaire on her 31-year old finger, but I had a sudden urge to look at rings for myself. My hubby warmed up to the idea immediately, since he had been thinking of Windows 7 for my main Christmas present and somewhere in the back of his male mind there was a teeny tiny question of whether that consituted a romantic Christmas gift. He knows I LOVE romantic Christmas gifts! So, we both headed to the local jeweler, where in half an hour I had found a solitaire that perfectly complemented my anniversary band. So, on Christmas Eve, during our tradition of opening our gifts to each other in front of the fire after everyone else is in bed, there was a nice little box that was no surprise but brought tears of joy, nonetheless. I loved it, loved it, loved it!!

Back to church on that Sunday a few weeks ago. As the ring on my hand sparkled and shone, next to the rather dull black and white verses on the page of my Bible, I was suddenly confronted with the symbolism of the choice that has faced God's children throughout the ages. Will my treasures be stored up here on earth, or will they be stored up in heaven? Which do I love more, God's Word, or the things that I have acquired? Wow, that sparkle was so distracting, pulling me away time and again from the words on the page, but I was gently reminded that Jesus is the living Word, and in His Word there is life that is the light of men and women through all the ages. (John 1:1-5)

I loved that visual sermon that I received that morning. I remembered the old praise chorus:

"Lord, you are more precious than silver
Lord, you are more costly than gold
Lord, you are more beautiful than diamonds
And nothing I desire compares with You."

May our love for the things that we treasure on earth always bow its knee before the Treasure of Heaven, Our Lord Jesus. May we love Him, love Him, love Him!!!

3 comments:

  1. I commented this morning--wonder why it didn't show up??? Love this post! ;)
    XOXO,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was working on the blog when you were on...that might mess up interaction on the blog itself. Anyway, thanks for being my faithful commenter. :) Love you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, your blog is wonderful--it is not only practical (I especially like the tips about the cheese and the brownies and the Snickers bars). But of course, even better, all of your insight about our Lord. I just sent the link to Anna, Jane (her mom) and Lauren Byrer. Love, Sandy

    ReplyDelete