Thursday, April 29, 2010

What to do when you don't know what to do...

I always pick a scripture for each member of my family, including myself, at the beginning of the new year. I then make a laminated prayer card with a picture of each member and their scripture so that I can pray for them regularly. This year, the scripture that I picked for myself is:
"Wait for the Lord, and keep His way, and He will exalt you to inherit the land." ~Ps. 37:34
I love this verse for me at this point in my life, because I am one of those persons who feels validated by accomplishing things that are measurable, and right now, that is just not happening. At least in the way of Christian Service and Ministry. Notice that I capitalized those words, mainly because in my mind, and in the minds of many others, those words define ways that we serve the Lord that are obvious, and as I said already, measurable. As in:
~Today I had a prayer team meeting and we were able to set lots of goals for the year.
~Today I helped to serve dinner at Water's Edge Outreach to lots of hungry boys and girls.
~Today I taught a Bible study to many women who are eager to learn from God's Word.

Am I being clear here about what I mean as far as serving the Lord by wearing lots of hats in Christian Service and Ministry? I love those labels such as "Prayer Team Leader" or "Director of College Ministries" or "Titus 2 Women's Ministry Leader". The reason I love them is because they give me a real sense of what I am accomplishing and I can check off of my "to do for the Lord" list any number of things that look substantive.

The only problem is, there are times in my life (and yours) when I am not able for any number of reasons to rack up points in the "Service for the Lord" column in those ways. And when that happens, I struggle with a sense of worth and value in my own eyes, although I know that isn't right. At this point in time, I feel strongly that the Lord is urging me to stay in a quiet place of availability for those who might need me, primarily family and friends, for any number of reasons. To avoid getting involved in anything that requires my time and attention on a scheduled basis so that I am free to help out wherever I'm needed. Also, free to take more time in sitting at His feet (which I'm having a hard time doing, because I am a DO-ER, not a SITTER), and praying, and meditating.

I went for several months trying to figure out what I should be doing in the way of ministry since I had experienced a change in my circumstances that had closed several doors. Rather than jump into the first, or second, or even third thing that came along, I decided to just wait and pray and see what the Lord might want me to do for Him, rather than me telling Him what I ought to be doing. I claimed that verse from the Psalms, and am feeling better all the time about having waited rather than jumping into any number of things with both feet. A Christian Service and Ministry opportunity just arose recently with the local MOPS group that I am very excited about, and I am so glad that I am able to say yes because I have the time available to do so.

So when you're not sure what you should be doing to serve the Lord, remember that every part of your life can be a service to Him. Folding laundry, writing notes of encouragement to someone who might need it, ironing shirts for your husband, playing in the park with your kids, sitting at the Lord's feet in prayer or just in listening mode, all these are things that are sacrifices of love that the Lord receives as an offering poured out before Him. Just wait, and He will open the doors. If you open them yourself and get ahead of Him, you just might run into some brick walls, and that's a lot more painful than sitting and waiting.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I LOVE the verse/prayer card idea! and second of all, this really touches my heart...lately, I've been doing alot of ironing and laundry, ;o) I, stubbornly, don't always see it as a sacrifice of love...what a great way to put it! Thankyou!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete