Monday, April 12, 2010

From God, with Love


I was reminded recently of how much I need to remember that all things that come into my life are from God's providing and gracious hands. I especially like to think of that in terms of the "good" things that come, even though I know that He allows not so good things as well.

The reminder came through something that Brooke, my 2 year old granddaughter brought to my attention. I had commented to her that I liked the sweater that she was wearing. She promptly pointed to the sweater, then to me, and said "Mimi". That's the name that the kiddos call me, and knowing that Brooke is a girl of few (very few) words, I had to stop and think of what she meant. The "Aha!" moment came when I recalled that her mommy had told me that almost everything she puts on, she attributes to having been a gift from "Mimi". I do buy the kid a lot, I confess, because...well, just because! The fact that she recalls which things come from me is pretty amazing, though, considering the size of her wardrobe.

This gentle nudge from the Lord was enough to cause me to "Praise God from Whom all Blessings Flow", as I right away made the connection with the importance of my recognition of all that God has given to me, and then the telling of it. "I love your haircut, Mary": "God". (He gave me the money to pay for it)...... "Just love your house, Mary": "God". (He found it for us and then provided the means to buy it)......"You're a good writer, Mary": "God". (He inspires me and then gives me the words to say) And on and on it goes.

Now the things that you DON'T like about me, well, they're not His fault. Just because He gives doesn't mean I always receive with the right spirit or attitude. So, just pray for me. I want every blessing from Heaven to be something that causes onlookers to give the glory to the One who sent it.

"Every good thing bestowed and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation, or shifting shadow." ~James 1:17

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful reminder! I was most please when my daughter and her husband gave us a Hayes Hollow flag with James 1:17 on it. She said, "Mom, you always say the land is a gift from God." May we each give Him the praise and glory as nothing good we have comes from any other source but He who loves us dearly! Bless you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete