Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Whichever Way the Wind Blows~

Just a quick story that happened the other day....

I was doing my usual jog on the bike path, and stopped for a drink at the drinking fountain, so graciously provided by a service group in the village. I was really hot, thirsty, and that water was looking good! There was a strong wind blowing, which was nice for cooling off, but when I turned the fountain on, the force of the wind coming against the water arc blew it backwards, making it really difficult to get a good drink.

I was a little exasperated until I figured out that if I leaned way forward and turned my back to the wind, it blocked it enough to allow the water to come out as it should, and that way I could actually get a decent drink. As water quenched my parched mouth and throat, I began to think about the parallel of the Lord Jesus being the Water of Life, as He described Himself to the woman at the well.

You know, I understand that, because Jesus has quenched my spiritual thirst in a way that nothing else ever could. But, He doesn't force Himself down my throat, so to speak. In order to benefit from the Water of Life, I have to make the decision to drink, and beyond that, to block the obstructions that so readily get in my way. There are any number of things that change the direction that I need to take in order to fully imbibe the life of Christ. Busyness, a desire to do things that are more entertaining, distractions from family or friends-all of these things seem to change the direction of that life-giving water, and if I don't position myself correctly by closing them off, I am unable to receive from Him.

Just a reminder to myself that while Jesus gives me all that I need, it's my responsibility to take it in (or to block the wind) in order to partake of His daily gifts of sustenance.

1 comment:

  1. love it, Mary! such an awesome analogy! thanks so much for sharing. xoxo sarah

    ReplyDelete